BRINGING THE OUTDOORS CLOSER TO HOME
Helping you #LiveOutdoors in Daily Life
Get Ready to Celebrate this Summer
Whether you are celebrating a holiday, the recent graduate in your life, or just a want a reason to make a cocktail and get together with friends, we have a few fun additions for your outdoor celebrations as you kick off your summer!
Five fun additions for outdoor summer parties
- String Lights: String lights are a fantastic addition to outdoor summer parties. They create a warm and inviting ambiance, especially once the sun sets. You can hang them along fences, trees, or across your patio area.
- Floral Centerpieces: Add a touch of natural beauty to your outdoor party with floral centerpieces. Simple mason jar arrangements filled with fresh flowers can instantly brighten up your space and create a vibrant atmosphere. You can choose flower colors that represent your theme, this thoughtful detail will add a sentimental touch to the decorations.
- Drink Buckets: Keep your guests refreshed and hydrated with drink buckets filled with ice and a variety of beverages. Galvanized tubs can serve as stylish containers for bottles of water, soda, and other drinks. You can even have a designated bucket for specialty drinks.
- Speciality Cookies: Add a unique touch to your party by having themed speciality cookies. It’s a delicious treat that also serves as a decorative element. Have cookies made or bake them yourself in a variety of shapes to represent your celebration whether it’s for graduations, holidays, showers, etc. Decorate the cookies with themed colors or personal details to make them extra special. Display them on a dessert table or give them out as party favors for guests to enjoy.
- Lawn Games: Make your outdoor party even more entertaining with a selection of lawn games. Set up games like bocce, corn hole, Spikeball, or giant Jenga for guests to enjoy. These games are not only fun but also encourage friendly competition and interaction among guests.
With these additions, your outdoor summer party will be a memorable and enjoyable get together for all.
Enjoy this refreshing taste of summer.
1oz Cranberry Juice (Unsweetened)
8oz Topo-Chico Sparkling Mineral Water
Fresh squeezed Lime
- Place a handful of ice cubes into a tall glass
- Add Cranberry juice and squeeze fresh lime
- Top off with Topo Chico Sparkling Mineral Water
It is delicious as a refreshing non-alcoholic beverage, but you can also add your favorite spirits. It’s worth noting that unsweetened cranberry juice can be quite tart and may require an acquired taste.
Benefits of Cranberry Juice
Unsweetened cranberry juice is rich in antioxidants, including vitamins C, E and K, as well as various phytonutrients. Antioxidants are essential for supporting a healthy immune system and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. Cranberry has also been known as a bacteria fighter, fighting gum disease and helping promote a healthy urinary tract. Cranberry juice may also help raise HDL, or “good” cholesterol.
When selecting cranberry juice, opt for varieties without added sugars or sweeteners to reap the most benefits – avoid labels that say, “Cranberry Cocktail,” which has lots of added sugars.
Summer Outdoor Music
If you’re looking for outdoor summer music, there are several options you can explore:
Check out Grooving on the Greenway in Downtown Waynesboro each Thursday starting at 6pm from May 18th through July 27th. They have a variety of different musical styles – visit their website to see what band or individual is performing each week. Bring your lawn chairs and a picnic or enjoy a variety of food trucks.
For outdoor music under the stars, check out the Veritas Starry Nights concert series. On the second Saturday of the month in June, July and August from 6-11pm. Purchase your tickets to relax and listen or dance the night away. You can bring a picnic or add a plated three course dinner or buffet dinner from their amazing chefs.
Unwind every Friday at the Ting Pavilion on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville at Fridays after Five. From 5:30-8:30pm see some of the area’s best local talent all for free. This summer’s schedule features a wide range of musical styles so there is truly something for everyone, visit their website to see the full list.
Local Hiking and Swimming Hole
If you’re looking for a refreshing summer swimming hole, Blue Hole is the perfect destination. However, it may not be easy to find information about it on regular hiking sites. It’s officially known as the Sugar Hollow or Moormans River Trails, you can rely on your GPS to locate the Moormans River Trailhead. This spot is particularly popular during the summer, especially on weekends.
Once you arrive at the parking area, at the dead end of the road, keep an eye out for a cement post with metal bands, which serve as trail markers. Start your journey by following the South Fork Moorman’s River Trail (leading to Turk Branch Trail, to the left as you enter the parking lot). Follow the trail approximately 1.5 miles as it gradually ascends along the river. As you hike, expect to cross a few creeks, so prepare to get a little wet even before reaching the swimming hole.
Remember to bring drinking water, snacks, and optionally a towel, so you can fully enjoy your time playing or having a picnic by the water. You can stay for as little or as long as you’d like. When you’re ready to head back, retrace your steps along the same 1.5-mile trail, descending back to the parking area.
Project Highlight of the Month: Waynesboro Backyard Makeover
For our client in Waynesboro, their backyard saw a transformation into a personal oasis, perfect for both solitary retreats and gatherings with friends. This outdoor living project began with an expansive Quick Deck made of Wolf PVC Decking in Harbor Grey. This durable and weather-resistant deck provides an inviting surface for relaxation and enjoyment, breathing new life into its design and functionality. To enhance the entertaining aspect, a new outdoor bar was added, providing a dedicated space for hosting guests. The addition of a decorative pergola adds an elegant, but modern feel with the black posts and natural stain top. A water feature was incorporated into the design, to create a tranquil atmosphere, constructed with beautiful Belgard pavers. String Lighting was added to create a warm ambiance and a TV was installed, allowing for outdoor entertainment. A decorative gravel and concrete square walkway welcomes you into the space. The combination of textures and materials adds visual interest to the overall design. We hope our client feels immersed in the beauty of nature while enjoying the comforts of modern living.
Written by Natalie Hall. Natalie is Bear Creek’s Marketing Manager. She is passionate about helping people enjoy the outdoors. She is an avid runner and hiker. She loves simple adventures to explore nature with her husband and three children.