BRINGING THE OUTDOORS CLOSER TO HOME
Bear Creek Community Connection
5 Keys to Creating a Space that Brings the Outdoors Closer to Home
As our homeowners start to plan their outdoor living space, we want it to be a place that truly brings the outdoors closer to home.
Click here to read the five keys that we believe can help. We want our homeowners to explore their unique personality to fit their lifestyle.
We hope to keep the spaces simple and natural, while fitting the environment and buffering distraction, both natural and within our souls.
Creating a S’mores Tray
Nothing says fall, like gathering around a fire pit and enjoying a perfectly toasted s’more! As you prepare to host, creating a S’mores Tray (or box/basket) is an easy way to present the well-known treat.
- Find a rectangular tray, box, or basket. Add your own detail or touches by adding a stylish napkin to the bottom that hangs over the sides or stenciling a cute label on the front.
- Fill it with the trusty ingredients of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate.
- Keep it traditional or get creative with lots of variety.
- Graham cracker variations: Offer both regular and chocolate graham crackers, for the extra chocolate lovers in your life. Backyard Brian uses Keebler Fudge Shoppe Cookies to combine the cookie and the chocolate.
- Chocolate variations: Many people enjoy the extra richness of adding some peanut butter to spread or using Reese’s cups. For the white chocolate fans, or friends who love coconut; pick up a few different candy bars for a range of tastes or to try a new combination.
- Marshmallow variations: This time of year, stores carry a larger assortment of marshmallows – you can look for pumpkin spice flavored or go for the square cracker-shaped mallows.
- If you don’t have a yard where hunting for your own sticks is feasible, you can find reusable, extendable metal “sticks” or buy extra-long kabab sticks.
- Add some extra napkins or wipes for sticky fingers and you are all set!
The possibilities are endless for a fun S’mores Tray to host and build community around the fire!
In need of a fire pit to host a S’mores night? We love our brand partner and fellow Virginia native; Burly.
These fire pits are hand-crafted in the USA using long-lasting, heavy-gauge steel and sturdy wood handles make pits more portable. The Gather and Scout fire pits are easy to start and easy to clean. The smart engineering and sturdy materials deliver fire pits that are built to last and, best of all, leave no one stuck with the smoky seat. Purchase the optional grilling attachment for cooking to prepare a full meal on the fire pit and the whole night will be a treat!
As shorter days are fast approaching, lengthen the usage of your space with outdoor lighting. The style of lighting is vast and choosing the right style can depend on how much light you need, the type of ambiance you want to create, the size of your space and if you have access to power. Here are a few fun options.
- String lights in flower boxes are a great option and offer some flower planting options for a bit of color as well.
- Repurpose an old ladder to add a rustic chandelier. Using something like this can also designate a specific area for conversation or dining.
- You can also add torches. These are more elegant or formal but give off just enough light and bug-repelling power while not taking up much space.
Whatever your style or what you are looking to accomplish in your backyard space, there is lighting for you! If you need help, reach out to Leslie and she can assist you in transforming your space with outdoor lighting.
10 Conversation Questions for Get Togethers this Fall
- What is your best childhood memory?
- Who is someone you look up to?
- If you had a chance to go hiking for a day all by yourself, what would you pack in your backpack?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is something you would want to gift to your parents?
- Do you believe in God? Heaven?
- What is an invention you wish existed?
- What is something you recently learned?
- If you could have one superpower, which would that be?
- What is your favorite fall leaf color? Why do you think God chose orange, red and yellow instead of purple, pink and blue?
Project Highlight of the Month: Wintergreen Porch Conversion
This Wintergreen homeowner wanted to construct a new screen porch over an existing balcony deck. They wanted a weather protected outdoor living space that fit the style of their home. The wood finishes and an almost treehouse view, it allows them to feel like they are sitting in the woods while relaxing in elegant comfort. For the screens, the homeowner chose a Porch Conversion system that allows for screens to be opened or closed to allow warmth or wind in. It’s a great system to create an all-season screen porch. It can be enjoyed with the breezes of summer or with the sun warming of winter and everything in between.